Art and Design
Subject Intent – Vision and Philosophy
In Art, at Armthorpe, each student will leave equipped with the knowledge and skills to express themselves using a multitude of media. This will take form in replicating artists’ work and creating imaginative final pieces of their own. Students will explore a range of challenging projects, which will inspire skill, individuality and creativity, through learning about Art history, modern art and exploration of media. The pieces the students produce will fit their age stage and drive their passion for Art; these projects will also equip them with transferable technical skills and knowledge. We regard the individual skills within each genre of Art as intertwined, and together they contribute to creating inquisitive but reflective learners throughout all aspects of Art.
- Development of observational research and development of ideas
- Engage students in the process of designing and making art
- Identifying and resolve problems when exploring techniques, developing ideas and creating artworks.
- Use a variety of art techniques and processes when developing ideas. For example, a range of drawing techniques using different media and methods like pencil, ink, charcoal, oil pastel, chalk pastel. A range of print methods i.e. Polyprint, Monoprint, Lino, Texture printing, etc. A range of painting methods i.e. watercolour, acrylic, etc. A range of sculpture and relief methods i.e. Collage, clay construction, wire modelling.
- Develop and reflect on their work. Communicating the development of their ideas using annotation, sketches, plans, modelling, sample art pieces, etc.
- Make informed decisions about the development of their own art. Allowing students to refine and develop outcomes to the best standard possible, and building problem solving skills, which support individuals in their further studies and in life.
- Develop knowledge and understanding of the functional properties and characteristics of art media i.e. watercolour being translucent, pastels soft and easily blendable, acrylic paint vibrant and plastic based making it ideal for layering.
- Understand the relationship between context of artwork on the influence of subject, process, media and effects achieved.
The subsections of Art & Photography are linked