Subject Intent – Vision and Philosophy
In Business, students will develop confidence and resilience to enable them to apply the skills and knowledge to be successful in their future career choices and real-life experiences. Business Studies provides students with a wider understanding of the world of business, the skills and qualities of a successful entrepreneur and the importance of vision, hard work and belief that they can achieve success.
Within business studies, students will develop interpersonal skills such as:
- Enterprise skills o Literacy and numeracy skills o Communication skills
- Presentation skills
- Problem solving
- Application and evaluation skills In this fast past business world, it’s imperative to have the essential knowledge and skills business can offer to provide students with the tools to succeed and be the entrepreneur of tomorrow.
We strive to create a curriculum that:
- Enables all students, within an inclusive teaching environment, to gather the required skills and knowledge to be able to understand and apply the learning needed within the curriculum and develop their interpersonal skills.
- Equips students to understand and embrace the fast paced and changing digital and business world, and ensure they are responsible, competent and creative users of this knowledge to prepare them for the real world.
- Promotes problem solving, research, analysis and evaluation interlinked throughout the business curriculum and the skills and attributes to manage rights and responsibilities at work including health and safety procedures using practical and real-life scenarios which will highlight the possible career pathways and motivate their aspirations and future choices.
At KS4, students will study Edexcel GCSE Business Studies which consists of two exams of equal weight. Students will start the course studying theme 1, which has a focus on smaller businesses and setting up a business. All essential business knowledge is taught at the start of the course as the foundation and this then is developed and extended during year two when students are introduced to how businesses grow and managing larger businesses.