Enrichment and Extra-Curricular
Across the academy, there has always been lots of opportunities to enrich the academic curriculum through external visits and after-school clubs for example cooking club, university visits, residential trips to Iceland, Rome, and ski trips. Each faculty typically offer a range of wider enrichment clubs and visits, these can be viewed on the faculty tabs.
Although Covid has meant we have had to pause this provision, it is something that all staff at Armthorpe are passionate about and eager to do again as soon as possible. Plans are in place to ensure that Covid doesn’t impact our student’s ability to experience outside the academic curriculum offered by the academy while keeping the safety of our students, staff, and community.
Morning before school– 8-8:25 Monday-Friday
Morning break— 10:45-11:05 Monday-Friday
Lunchtimes 1:10-1:40 Monday-Wednesday
After school 2:45-4:00 Monday-Tuesday
Homework club 2:45-4:00 Monday-Friday
Darts Club 2:45-4:00 Wednesday
Debating club 1:05-1:40 Thursday
Film club 1:05-1:40/ 2:45-4:00 Friday
Communications Faculty Enrichment Calendar – 2020/2021
- Key Stage 3 Mst-Able Reading List
Aimed at Year 7 and Year 8 students, the student will get LHu or their class teacher to sign off books they have read and write a short review. Prizes are awarded for most books read.
- National Poetry Day – Thursday 1st October 2020
Lesson to be taught to KS3 (Years 7 and 8) on this day which will give students an opportunity to write their own poem. These will then to be entered into a department competition.
- Doncaster Book Awards.
LHu as expert staff member. This year, launch event in October, the finale in April.
- Kids Lit Quiz – November 2020
in North Yorkshire. LHu to lead, AHa / LCr to support.
- Gothic horror story writing competition – for Year 8 students.
Competition to be judged week commencing 14th December 2020. Students can enter their classwork or a different story of their choice.
- BBC 500 Words Story Competition – Years 7 and 8 (age 13 MAX)
Students need to write an original short story, on any topic of their choice and enter their stories online.
- World Book Day – Thursday 4th March 2021.
Whole academy profile by all staff displaying their favourite books on doors.
Year 7 and 8 t do WBD lesson in their literacy lesson of this week.
- World Poetry Day – 21st March 2020
AHa to work with CGR to look at poetry in other languages – French and Spanish poetry. Pablo Neruda’s odes. Most Able student focus – Year 9 / Year 10 students.
- CILIP Carnegie / Kate Greenaway medal shadowing – March to June 2021
This works as a transition project with students from Armthorpe Academy’s feeder primaries as part of the Communications Faculty’s transition work.
- Excelsir Awards – April/May for 6 weeks
This is for bottom set Year 7 students as a literacy and reading intervention and to help inspire a love of reading. Done in partnership with Doncaster Libraries. LHu to lead.
- After School Library club
Students read books, newspapers, use computers, play board games and card games
- English Literature Homework club
Fr KS4 students, on Wednesday after school. Intervention students placed in the group but then optional for all KS4 students to attend as well.
- Spanish club
After school, on Tuesday/Wednesday. Run by CGR, NQT Teacher of MFL.
Maths, Business, and Computing
- Annual UKMT maths challenge: The Team Maths Challenge is a competition giving students the opportunity to tackle a variety of engaging mathematical activities while developing teamwork and communication skills. Teams of four students from schools around the UK take part in dozens of Regional Finals and high-scoring teams are invited to compete in the National Final.
- Homework Club: Three lunchtimes a week students can join a member of staff in the IT suite to complete their homework.
- Revision: Year 11 are invited to attend revision workshops after school weekly to practice exam technique, focus on key topics, and prepare for their GCSE exams in the summer.
- STEM Maths Art Club: A lunchtime club where student’s complete fun activities with a ‘mathematical art’ theme. The activities help to reinforce many important mathematical skills such as accurate measuring and constructing, visual problem solving and strategic forward planning. We explore the amazing art forms of origami, curves of pursuit, sacred geometry, mandalas, and much more while producing some wonderful artwork.
Practical and Design
- Sports Teams – There are a multitude of sports teams for students to get involved in. These include football, rugby, table tennis, and badminton. We compete across Doncaster and South Yorkshire in these sports.
- Ski Trip – Armthorpe Academy offers a European ski trip every 2-3 years. The students have been to Austria and Italy in recent years enjoying five days skiing and immersing themselves in the culture.
- Coking Club – We offer a weekly cooking club where students can develop their cooking skills by completing their choice of recipe after school.
- Art Club – Students can develop their skills in Art club using a range of media from clay to charcoal. This can be individually motivated or different themes offered by the art department.
The science faculty offer a range of trips that allow students to continue to study science outside of the classroom. Time is also dedicated in the curriculum for students to complete engaging projects which help foster their enthusiasm for science and develop independent skills.
The Science department offers a variety of revision sessions and one to one tutoring sessions for KS4 students to support them during their exam preparations.