Free School Meals Eligibility Checker – Pupil Premium
At Armthorpe Academy, we strive to ensure all students are given every opportunity to succeed and achieve their full potential.
If your child is eligible for ‘Free School Meals’ and you register them for this, we will receive extra funding called ‘Pupil Premium’. This additional funding is used to improve educational provisions and resources at the academy.
We encourage all parents to apply irrespective of their income.
What is Pupil Premium funding?
Pupil Premium funding is a government initiative designed to help raise the attainment of students regardless of their background or financial situation. It is provided for students who:
- are registered for Free School Meals;
- have been registered for Free School Meals at any point in the past 6 years;
- are, or have been, in care;
- have parents in the armed forces.
How much does the Academy receive for Pupil Premium?
At Armthorpe Academy, we received an extra £955 (figures for the 2020/21 financial year) for every eligible student who is registered for Free School Meals.
What does the extra funding go towards?
This extra funding could make a real difference to the quality of education we offer. For example, we have previously used Pupil Premium funding for:
- accelerated reading packages to raise reading ages and ability for students;
- extra participation in sports including football and netball tournaments;
- raising aspirational interventions by mentoring groups of vulnerable students;
- allocating additional Learning Support Assistants in the classroom;
- social and emotional learning for our students;
- organising peer tutoring interventions.
Is my child eligible for Free School Meals?
Your child might be eligible if you access:
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance or Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- The guaranteed element of Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit (provided you’re not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
- Working Tax Credit run-on
- Universal Credit, provided you have an annual net earned income not exceeding £7,400 (£616.67 per month)
Does my child have to eat the free school meals?
Students who are registered for Free School Meals do not have to eat them. If you are eligible but you want your child to have a packed lunch, you should still register because the academy will receive the funding which can support your child in other ways.
More information about Pupil Premium can be obtained here and contains details of how the Pupil Premium has been spent in the past academic year and how it will be spent this year
Click the button below to check your child’s eligibility for Free School Meals
If you are flagged on the checker as entitled to Free school meals you will need to apply with the local authority online here: Free school meals application - Doncaster Council