Subject Intent – Vision and Philosophy
For all languages students to develop a knowledge of culture, grammar and vocabulary that will enable them to successfully progress from KS3 to KS4 and then be prepared to study French at an advanced level if desired or to have a foundation for employment where the language will be used. All students will understand similarities and differences in their own culture and that of Frenchspeaking places in the world. Our study of culture will deepen students’ understanding of the world around them and the wider world, giving them the opportunity to explore different perspectives and to consider their place as a citizen on a global platform. The cultural focus of our curriculum encourages students to celebrate the things we have in common and promotes respect and openness towards others which leads to an appreciation of diversity. Students will gain knowledge of frequently used vocabulary and grammar and be able to exchange opinions on topics of interest to them both verbally and in written form. Our focus on phonics, particularly in year 7, will mean that students can develop their understanding of the sounds of the language and in turn will enable them to become fluent readers as well as listeners.
We strive to create an MFL curriculum which enables students to:
- Love learning a language and feel curious about it.
- Read and listen with confidence.
- Give opinions about a wide range of topics and be able to justify points of view.
- Develop problem solving through lexical inference.
- Understand the world around them through the study of francophone culture.
Implementation Students will learn:
- Frequently used vocabulary over many topics
- Grammar, including how to use different time frames and the concept of gender in MFL
- How to improve their own accuracy through physical and virtual resources