Praise and Reward
Our system is designed to catch students being good. All students at Armthorpe are encouraged to make positive choices about their own behaviour through encouragement and reward. The rewards system is as follows:
Reward activities take place at the end of each half term. Student’s eligibility for the rewards activities will be based on having positive credits along with other specific criteria that will be communicated in advance to staff, students and their parents.
Credits will be awarded in line with our daily expectations and academy values. Each week students can accumulate credits in the following way:
Additional reward points are available from teachers in lessons and staff around the academy for demonstrating our values:
- Respect #Communicate with Kindness!
- Responsibility #Make Positive Choices!
- Resilience #Never Give Up!
- Pride #The Best of Me!
- Ambition #Dream Big!
Credits are awarded each week for excellent attendance.
Credits awarded for each club attended. If a student attends an extra-curricular club/represent academy, they will be awarded extra credits. Teachers will award these credits using our Class Charts system.
Students can receive credits from the leadership team. Credits will be awarded at SLT discretion, for example students who show excellent work in lessons, students who support others in academy, students who represent the academy positively or students who achieve outstanding sporting recognition both in and out of academy.
Students will start each lesson with 3 credits already in their planner – teachers will only sign if students do not meet the criteria to gain the credit.
- Retrieval Starter (RS): The first credit is maintained by students who take responsibility and immediately settle into learning completing the RS – teachers to initial any student who doesn’t complete the starter in a timely manner or needs to be reminded to put the required equipment on their desk.
- Behaviour for Learning: The second credit is maintained by students who work hard and show respect throughout the lesson demonstrating no low-level disruption following a verbal reminder.
- Equipment: The third credit is maintained for students who always bring the right equipment to the lesson. Teachers should initial the planner of any student failing to bring basic equipment to the lesson or asking to borrow items of equipment. Equipment will always be provided but the credit will be lost. If students forget equipment (including PE Kit) they are expected to make a positive choice by borrowing equipment provided. Failure to make this positive choice will be deemed as defiance.
Examples of other rewards available are:
- Legend of the Week (weekly by all staff members)
- Legend of the Term / Year
- Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum and Diamond Certificates
- Top 10 credit certificates every half term.
Legend of the Week is awarded to students meeting our Rainbow Standard, a standard of excellence linked to our values of pride and ambition.